First and foremost enjoy your cigars in moderation.
Here are a few ideas on how to make your cigar smoking experience that much more enjoyable.
Consider the amount of time you have to smoke. If you are going to have a lot of time to enjoy your cigar, then you might want to light up a Double Corona or Churchill which are generally larger and thicker cigars that will last longer. A Churchill with a large ring size will usually last about an hour or more. If you don't have an hour to spend enjoying a cigar, then smoke something smaller like a short Robusto or a Corona with a smaller ring gauge.
This doesn’t really apply to me but, I know a few my fellow cigar smokers like to have a mild to medium bodied cigar during the day and at night they will choose to smoke a full bodied cigar.
Next, determine where you are going to be enjoying your chosen cigar.
1. In an established cigar lounge, club or restaurant.
2. Sitting quietly by yourself outside of your home or maybe you have the good fortune to have actual“smoking lounge” set up within your home.
3. The ultimate way to enjoy a cigar is sitting outside having some good conversation with family and/or friends after a fine dinner or during a special occasion. Especially if you have a roaring fire in a pit sitting in the backyard or campsite.
Now, decide which alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverage you would like to sip on while smoking your puro. Here is a list of beverages I found to go quite well with cigars.
1. A glass of wine, preferably a Port; however, I have enjoyed some cigars with a glass of Merlot, Chardonnay or a Pinot. I would even recommend a White Merlot which went well with a flavored cigar like the Acid Kuba Kuba.
2. A can of soda, Coca Cola or a 7Up.
3. A bottle of good ol' H2O, water.
4. On a hot summer's afternoon I have enjoyed my cigars with a glass of cranberry juice mixed with vodka or a glass of lemonade mixed with rum; both mix drinks I felt went good with my cigar. My favorite drink I like to have is either a shot of Dewars Scotch Whiskey or a vodka martini, shaken not stirred.
One of my brothers enjoys his cigars with a glass of B&B while, another enjoys his with sparkling cider.
Remember, part of the enjoyment of cigars is trying them with different types of beverages. Feel free to experiment.
Now that you have some ideas on how to enjoy your cigars, order a box of your favorite puros and light it up.